Moving on after splitting up – Who you need to tell

10th March 2015 by


When a relationship ends and the thought of having to start again on your own looms large in your life, the last thing you will want to have to do will be to manage the nitty gritty of day-to-day living.

Yet, when you have lived together as a couple for a long time, perhaps have children, and have shared all the bills and living costs, suddenly being on your own can throw up all sorts of worries – how will you manage financially, who will pay the mortgage etc.

Healys’ divorce solicitors in London and Brighton can offer all sorts of practical advice on the legal aspects of applying for a divorce or responding to a divorce petition and how to go about negotiating a divorce settlement. In this article we look at some of the more immediate concerns you may have when splitting up with a long term partner.

People and organisations you need to tell if you are separating or getting a divorce

There are a number of groups you need to tell once a long-term partner or spouse leaves the family home. This may be for legal reasons, but you may also be eligible for financial help and support.

The following is a list of people and organisations to tell that you have separated:

  • Mortgage lender, if you own your own home, or your landlord, if you are renting.
  • Bank, if you have any joint accounts with your partner. Remember, you may be liable for any debts on a joint account however they were incurred, so getting the banking details sorted as soon as possible is extremely important.
  • Credit card company, if you have joint credit cards or your partner has a card for an account in your name.
  • Hire purchase companies and any other lenders, if you have borrowed together with your partner.
  • Utility companies (electricity, gas, water, phone, internet provider etc) so that account details can be changed to those of the person staying in the family home.
  • Insurance companies, you need to inform insurers of any major change in your circumstances whether policies were held jointly with your former partner or not.
  • Council tax office (for Northern Ireland residents the Land and Property Services) as there may well be a reduction in the charge if you will be the only adult living in the property.
  • Housing benefit office at local council, if you were claiming previously with your former partner or will now need to claim.
  • Tax Credits office if you were claiming previously with your former partner or will now need to claim.
  • Jobcentre Plus, if you were in receipt of state benefits or may now be eligible to claim benefits such as Income Support.
  • HM Revenue and Customs if your National Insurance Contributions were payable at the married woman’s rate and you are now divorced.
  • Credit reference agencies, if your credit rating has been linked with your former partner you need to ensure this is rectified and that there are no outstanding debts linked to your name which you may not know about.

All the above agencies will be able to guide you through the processes associated with splitting up and setting up home on your own and you may be eligible for extra support during the transition period.

Healys divorce solicitors in London and splitting up

When a long-term relationship breaks down it can be extremely difficult to adjust and to know what to do first. Healys family lawyers have years of experience in handling some of the most sensitive issues among families and have learned that by listening carefully to our clients and contemplating their circumstances we can offer the very best and most appropriate legal solutions for those who are splitting up.

If you would like to talk to a divorce solicitor about any legal aspect of relationship breakdown, divorce procedure, or the negotiation of a divorce settlement, then why not call Healys LLP today. We have offices in London and Brighton and have helped clients all over the UK and from abroad in their difficult family law issues. We look forward to helping you.