Customer area
Brighton 01273 838734
Same Sex Divorce and Civil Partnership Dissoltion
call-answerCall Us

If you are in a civil partnership or a same-sex marriage and your relationship has broken down, Healys Solicitors’ Family Solicitorsin London and Brighton can help you by providing sensitive, yet robust, advice and assistance at this difficult time.

Ending my civil partnership

Ending a civil partnership is similar to ending a marriage, except that rather than calling it “divorce” it is known as dissolving your civil partnership, or civil-partnership dissolution.

  • When ending your civil partnership you can opt for:An informal separation agreement in which you and your civil partner agree to live apart and make decisions regarding how the finances will be organised for the future. A separation agreement may be appropriate if the finances can be sorted out amicably and when neither partner has the legal option to apply for a dissolution straight away. In time the separation should be followed by a dissolution to tie up legal loose ends.
  • An immediate dissolution in which your civil partnership is legally ended by Court order and the finances are also sorted out either by agreement or by a Court decision. To obtain such an order it is necessary to prove that the relationship has broken down irretrievably.

Healys Solicitors is experienced in successfully representing applicants and respondents in civil partnership dissolutions and financial claims on dissolution.

Grounds for ending a same-sex marriage or civil partnership

Since March 2014, in addition to being able to register a civil partnership, same-sex couples have been able to get married. Previously registered civil partnerships can also be converted into marriages.

When a same-sex marriage ends the spouses can seek a divorce, which is much like heterosexual divorce. As in civil partnership dissolution it is necessary to show that the relationship has broken down irretrievably.

The main difference when seeking to end a civil partnership and same-sex marriage is that you cannot prove that the relationship has broken down irretrievably by way of adultery unless the affair has been conducted with a member of the opposite sex. Adultery is considered in law as an extra-marital relationship between a man and a woman, so, if a married gay man has an affair with another man, he is not committing adultery under English and Welsh family law.

It could, however, be regarded as unreasonable behaviour, so if a married/civil-partnered gay man has an affair with another man, the spouse could seek a divorce or dissolution on the reasoning that they find it unbearable to continue in the relationship.

To find about the financial ramifications of same-sex divorce, or civil partnership dissolution, and to apply for a financial claim please call our Family Solicitors in London or Brighton today.

Call Us Today
Call our London office on 020 7822 4000 or our Brighton office on 01273 838734. You can also contact us online.
Call Us Today
London: 020 7822 4000 Brighton: 01273 838734 Or you can contact us online: Contact Us