Customer area
Brighton 01273 685 888
call-answerCall Us
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
  • ×


    The Short-term Student Visa (English Language) is a route for persons aged 16 and over who want to study an English language course in the UK for between 6 and 11 months without a student sponsor but at an accredited institution.  

    If you wish to study an English language course that will last longer than 11 months then you should apply for a Student Visa or Child Student Visa instead.

    If you wish to study a course or complete a period of research that will last less than 6 months then the UK also offers a shorter 6-month Short-term Student Visa.  This route can also be used by persons who wish to re-sit an examination, retake a module or take an oral examination as part of a PhD qualification.  There is also a Short-term Student (Child) route which is available to persons under the age of 16.

    Requirements for a Short-term Student Visa (English Language)

    In order to qualify for a Short-term Student Visa (English Language) you will need to satisfy UK Visas and Immigration that:

    • You are aged 16 or over;
    • You are outside the UK;
    • You have been accepted onto an English language course (that does not include any other subject) at an accredited institution that will last no longer than 11 months;
    • You have paid your course fees or have enough funds to pay your course fees;
    • You do not intend to undertake a course of study of longer than 11 months, study at an academy or state-funded school, make the UK your main home, work in the UK or engage in any business or professional activities in the UK;
    • You intend to leave the UK within 30 days of the end of your English language course, or at the end of 11 months, whichever is sooner;
    • You can maintain and accommodate yourself adequately without receiving public funds;
    • You have enough funds to meet the cost of your return or onward journey from the UK;
    • You have the consent of your parents if you are 16 or 17 years old.

    The exact requirements you will need to satisfy will vary depending on your circumstances.

    Please speak to our solicitors for expert advice.

    Call Us Today
    Call our London office on 020 7822 4000 or our Brighton office on 01273 685 888. You can also contact us online.
    Call Us Today
    London: 020 7822 4000 Brighton: 01273 685 888 Or you can contact us online: Contact Us