Customer area
Brighton 01273 685 888
Residential Conveyancing For Shared Ownership House Purchases
call-answerCall Us
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
  • ×

    First-time buyers who are looking to get their feet on the property ladder are turning in increasing numbers to the idea of buying through shared ownership, but this form of house purchase requires specialist residential conveyancing knowledge.

    Although there are other means of jointly buying a property between two or more people, shared ownership is usually defined as the system of part buying and part renting a home in order to ease the financial burden if an outright purchase is beyond the budget of an individual or couple.

    Homebuy is the Government’s term for shared ownership and that alongside many other schemes are run at local level by housing associations throughout the UK. Lists of available properties are held by the associations with details of the minimum share of the property which can be bought from them.

    These shares can vary from 25% up to 75% and then the householder pays rent, which is normally set at an ‘affordable’ rate. The larger the share which is purchased, the less rent will be paid.

    The other rented portion of a property continues to belong to the housing association. This will continue until either you own 100% of the property, in which case you either sell it back to the association or put it on the open market, or, if you want to move out, any increase in the value of the property since you bought it will be shared between you and the association.

    A system known as ‘staircasing’ means that when buyers can afford to purchase a larger proportion of the mortgage, they can change the percentage of rent and mortgage payments paid out each month so that, eventually, the repayments are completely mortgage instead of rent.

    Although many shared ownership homes are built and run by housing associations, some are provided by private house builders who are part of a Government-backed scheme to help people afford their own homes, especially if they are key workers, such as nurses or teachers. Others who may qualify are first-time buyers, previous home owners who cannot now afford to buy without help and housing association or council tenants.

    Once a home available for shared ownership has been found, as with any property purchase involving a loan, a mortgage will have to be arranged for the ‘part buy’ element and a residential conveyancing solicitor chosen to draw up the relevant contracts.

    From a legal point of view, shared ownership schemes are similar to buying a leasehold property and it is important to instruct a solicitor who has experience of this relatively new form of home purchase.

    Shared ownership and Healys solicitors of London and Brighton

    With an experienced team of conveyancing solicitors in both London and Brighton, Healys has the skills and service to help with the complexities of buying a home through a shared ownership scheme.

    Offering friendly, helpful advice and keeping you in touch at all times with the process of buying, the cost-effective work by Healys’ conveyancing staff, under partner Kiri Kkoshi, will help you take possession of the keys to your home as quickly and efficiently as possible.

    To help you budget, you can apply now for an online quote for the cost of the conveyancing, or contact us by email or telephone and you can be sure there are no hidden fees.

    Because of the elements of both buying and renting, moving into a home through shared ownership is a little more complicated than a standard property purchase but you can be assured that the high standards of Healys’ residential conveyancing services will be used to your best advantage.

    Call Us Today
    Call our London office on 020 7822 4000 or our Brighton office on 01273 685 888. You can also contact us online.
    Call Us Today
    London: 020 7822 4000 Brighton: 01273 685 888 Or you can contact us online: Contact Us