Home Office Publishes Guidance On Undocumented Commonwealth Citizens

26th April 2018 by

In a development that might best be described as better late than never (even if it is more than 40 years late), the Home Office have published a guidance document to help the Windrush generation to regularise their immigration status in the UK. In it, the Home Office give the following advice:

If you have lived in the UK permanently since before 1973 and have not been away for long periods in the last 30 years, you have the right to be here.

Please get in contact with the Home Office so we can help you with your documents and with applying for a permit card which proves your status in the UK.

If you came to the UK during the 1970s but after 1 January 1973 then you are not likely to have an automatic right to be here. However, you may be allowed to stay here permanently.

If you need help with getting hold of documentation that will prove how long you have lived here continuously, or an application to stay here, or if you have general questions about your status, please get in touch with our dedicated unit at the Home Office. This team aims to resolve all cases within 2 weeks of all of the information being pulled together. We are also working with other government departments to help us to build a picture of your life in the UK”.

One of my Windrush clients showed me a groveling apologetic letter he received from his Conservative MP. The letter gave the same spiel that the PM, Theresa May, and Home Secretary, Amber Rudd gave.

The same client told me that one of his friends was granted ILR (Indefinite Leave to Remain) within 2 days of his MP contacting the Home Office to complain.

We have also been told in a Home Office announcement that the Windrush generation will not have to pay Home Office fees for British citizenship.

Since the Home Office are in such an apologetic and generous mood, I’m surprised that they are not also giving a two for one deal.

Ivon Sampson