If you are a Commonwealth citizen and have a grandparent who was born in the UK, you may be able to live and work in the UK on the basis of your UK Ancestry. A UK Ancestry visa can only be obtained from outside the UK.
Requirements for a UK Ancestry Visa
In order to qualify for a UK Ancestry visa, you will need to satisfy UK Visas and Immigration that:
• You are a Commonwealth citizen;
• You are aged 17 or over on your date of intended arrival to the UK;
• You are able to provide proof that one of your grandparents was born in the United Kingdom or Islands;
• Any such grandparent is your blood grandparent or grandparent by reason of an adoption recognised by the laws of the United Kingdom relating to adoption;
• You are able to adequately maintain and accommodate yourself and any dependants;
• You are able to work and intend to seek and take employment in the UK;
• If you are under the age of 18, your parent(s) or guardian(s) have consented to the application;
• You have provided a TB Certificate, if required.