Complaints against surveyors in Brighton and Sussex


min read


Share this post
Share this event

In partnership with

If you are dissatisfied with some aspect of the service provided by your surveyor, it is important to remember that making formal complaints against these professionals is often relatively straightforward.In fact, all firms in Brighton and the rest of the UK are obliged to have in-house measures to deal with complaints. Furthermore, the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) has rules of conduct in place to ensure that firms deal with a grievance in a just and timely manner.

The complaints process

Making a formal complaint against a surveyor is a relatively simple process, and can be accomplished by taking the following steps:Contacting the complaints officer - these professionals are located in most firms and should be able to adequately deal with your grievance.Complaining in writing - although it is sometimes necessary to get a complaint off your chest in person or over the telephone, it is absolutely essential that you place your grievance in writing. After all, it can be argued that, without an official record, the complaint never occurred.Waiting for a reply - your complaint should be acknowledged within one week of the firm receiving it. Furthermore, the organisation will usually respond inside 28 days and keep you informed of any developments.

What if I don't get a response?

If you don't receive a satisfactory response at the end of this 28 day period, you may wish to consider pursuing some form of mediation or professional negligence litigation. There are, however, other options depending on the type of complaint, such as:Complaints relating to Home Information Packs - all firms which provide Home Information Packs (HIPs) are required to join a dispute resolution scheme certified by the Department for Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform, such as the Surveyors Ombudsman Service (SOS).The Surveyors Ombudsman Service - the SOS hears complaints against surveyors, estate agents, as well as all HIPs providers and has the power to issue various remedies, including financial awards of up to �25,000.However, although you are not bound to accept the decisions of the SOS, once you do so you must accept this choice as final. If you do not agree with the conclusions of the organisation, you could pursue your grievance through other means, such as by contacting a professional negligence lawyer.

Do you need legal advice regarding surveyor negligence?

Complaints against surveyors are useful in airing a grievance, but these are sometimes not enough to ensure financial redress. Yet, if you sustained monetary loss as a result of professional negligence, you could benefit through our experienced Brighton lawyers.For more information about your legal rights and choices, please call us or complete a call back form.

Share this post
Share this event